July 28, 2021
Dear LLCSD Parents/Guardians,
I hope you are enjoying the summer break and are taking advantage of the time to relax, connect with family and friends, and simply have some summer fun.
Throughout the summer we have been closely following both the California Department of Public Health and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health guidelines and recommendations regarding school reopening and the use of face masks. I am happy to announce that LLCSD will be welcoming students back on campus for full time in-person instruction for the 2021-2022 school year.
As you are completing your back to school registration, we know that many of you have questions regarding current health and safety protocols. When opening in August we will adhere to the most recent COVID-19 requirements and recommendations issued by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LACDPH) and the State of California. Robust safety protocols are in place at all campuses, including:
- Use of face masks while indoors
- Daily cleaning and disinfecting
- Frequent hand washing
- Hand sanitizer dispensers at each entrance and exit
- Hand sanitizer dispensers in all classrooms
- Enhanced air filtration units in all buildings and classrooms
- 3 feet classroom set up configuration
- HEPA air purifiers in every classroom
We fully realize that we are not 100% through with this pandemic. However, experts in the field have stated that with the proper safety precautions in place, students can and should return to full time in-class instruction. The LLCSD team has been working diligently throughout the summer to insure a safe return to the 21-22 school year. We are looking forward to again welcoming students onto our campuses and into the classrooms.
Please review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact your School Principal or the appropriate District Office Department.
Frequently Asked Questions:
When is the first day of school?
- Wednesday, August 18, 2021
Where can I register my child to attend school?
- Back to School Registration was emailed out to all parents. Please check your email carefully.
Are we returning to a normal schedule?
- Yes, we will be returning to a safe and full-time in-person regular schedule for the upcoming 2021-22 school year.
Are face masks still mandatory for students indoors?
- Yes, per LACDPH protocols, face masks are required for everyone indoors except when eating or drinking.
Are face masks mandatory outside?
- No, currently face masks are not mandatory outdoors based on the LACDPH protocols.
Will school meals still be available?
- School meals will be available daily at school sites to all students at no charge.
Will playgrounds be open for students?
- Yes, playgrounds will be accessible and open for all students.
Is physical distancing still required?
- No, physical distancing is not required but will be encouraged where possible based on the latest LACDPH guidelines. However, classroom furniture will be set up to include 3 feet of physical distancing to maximize distance between students and between students and teachers while in the classroom.
Should parents continue symptom screening before sending their child to school?
- Yes, parents should conduct a daily screening of their child for any COVID-19 symptoms prior to coming to school.
Will vaccines be required?
- No, however, for the health and safety of all members of our school communities, we encourage everyone who is eligible to be vaccinated. Currently, the vaccine is available to everyone 12 years and older. For information regarding upcoming clinics, please see https://myturn.ca.gov/.
Is the LLCSD distance learning program an option for the 21-22 school year?
- No, Distance Learning, authorized by SB 98, allowed for implementation during the 2020/2021 school year only. SB 98 expired on June 30, 2021.
What options do I have if I don’t want to send my student to school for in-person learning?
- AB 130 was signed by the governor in July 2021. AB 130 requires that independent study be made available to address the needs of students whose health would be at risk by attending in-person instruction. We have modified our Independent Study program to support those students who choose to stay home. If you have not enrolled in our program and would like to enroll your student in this program, please check your email for the Independent Study Registration email. You can also click on the registration link: https://forms.gle/7eEP5XnTfRLFbP2w7 , or contact Educational Services at 562-868-8241. The last day to enroll in the Independent Study program is Thursday, July 29, 2021.
Again, we look forward to welcoming our students back to full time in-person instruction on Wednesday, August 18. We will continue to monitor LACDPH guidelines and update you with any changes related to safety measures. As I have stated many times before, Little Lake is an amazing district and together we will move successfully through the 2021-2022 school year. As always, I thank you for your continued patience, support and understanding. Do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.
Dr. William Crean